Thursday, January 13, 2011

new gee's bend, on her way...

the other day when i looked over my website reading about the introduction of game boards that i was going to design inspired by the amazing 'gee's bend quilters', i noticed that i stated that i would do a series of 3 pieces....i am now introducing #7... years later, i see that the color of these quilts still call me to gaze upon them. the bright colors and designs keep pulling me back to study these pieces and read about the artists, hour upon hour...so who knows how many i really will create...as i'm getting older and older and my eyes fail more and more, i love the bright colors even more...and the people pull at my heart....



Arcola



the new piece that i will be introducing is based on Arcola Pettway's quilt that she called lazy gal...her quilt was created in 1976...and holds vivid colors of reds, green, blue, soft yellow and browns. i noticed that i had not until now created a checker board, so i thought that would be a fun twist on her quilt design.














The Story of Arcola Pettway - (from the gee's bend book)

"The life of Arcola Pettway (1934-1994), with its farming, child raising, gospel singing, and quiltmaking, was very similar to those of her closest relatives and friends. Her cousin, Leola Pettway, who was raised in the same home with Arcola, remembers their younger days...."

"'My auntie Deborah Young was her mama. You got to ask somebody else about who her daddy were. We growed up together, living with our granddaddy. He was a reverend. We played a lot; couldn't do much in them days but stay home and make up games, or go get water from down to the spring. When us coming up - we was little children - we used to sing together in church, just the two of us. Best thing back then was: went fishing. Set out hook overnight, go back next morning and get something sometime. Auntie Deborah, she teach us about quilts. Teach me first - I was five or six years older than Arcola and I reckon I showed her some. She used to sing in a group, go around to churches; sing with her sisters and my daughter, and I help them out some Sundays.

Arcola got married to Joseph. They had a lot of children, I reckon a dozen or more. They farmed, just about like everybody else.'"











Arcola's life was full i'm sure, with family, friends and hard work. Sadly it was so short...


this will be a limited edition piece


"arcola"
19" x 19"
$220.00 + shipping

only 20 pieces will be available in this edition... (18 are available at this time)


i will post a photo of the finished piece in about a week to my blog. if you know that you already would like one, please let me know right away. i know many of you pre-order anymore just off of the photos of the unfinished piece that i post so you don't miss out...so please don't let it slip by if you love her...








No comments: