Wednesday, May 21, 2008

gee's bend.... new game board introduced...


#3 of the gee's bend inspired game board is now being introduced....


Titled "Work Clothes"
in a 4 block strip pattern...

original design of quilt by Loretta Pettway


16" x 16" - checker board
edition of 15 only
$200.00

Colors:
Chocolate
Olive
Turquoise
Linen


This is the 3rd Gee's Bend Limited Edition Game Board... so far, i think this piece was the most fun to create, adapting loretta's pattern into a checker board pattern. I tried to create the motion of her quilt through color, layout and free hand painting, it was by far, the most difficult to create.


Original Quilt Design by Loretta Pettway (b. 1942), page 74, and story below taken from "The Quilts of Gee's Bend", Tinwood Books, Atlanta.


Loretta said, "I made all my quilts out of old shirts and dress tails and britches legs. I couldn't never get no good fabric to make quilts, so i had to get the best of the old clothes my peoples wore or old clothes I got from other peoples. I get the best of the shirt sleeves or whatever part of the pants wasn't wore out-like the back of the pants legs, 'cause the knees mostly be wore out. (we pick the cotton on our knees.)
Some people would give me old clothes, and some of them my kids couldn't wear, and I would tear them up and make quilts. I ain't never made a real pattern. I just made what my grandmama had made back in those days - Bricklayer, Housetop and stuff.
God have brought me from a mighty long ways. I prayed to the Lord when I was growing up that it won't be this way always. I am looking for a brighter day, a better day. And I say, "Lord, let my last days be my best days, and he have fulfilled it.
When I was married, I didn't have money. My husband would give ma fifty cents. I get my own check now. My daughter had to show me what a twenty-dollar bill was when I was fifty years old.
I can remember working a whole day in the fields and getting twenty cents. I used to work all day and when night come I was sick all night. I couldn't sleep and didn't have no appetite to eat, but I can thanks the Lord now and say that he has reached way down and picked me up, made my life better.
I have food, money, a roof over my head, my health and strength. I I leave today, he have fulfilled the dreams that I ask him for down through the years. And my last days will be my best days."
If you would like to have one of these pieces, please give me a call or email me...


No comments: