Wednesday, October 22, 2008

mary myers...nutcrackers


it's time to show off some of my artist friends and their wonderful work... i have shown mary myers' work in the past, and her link is always listed under artists to the left - but for you new readers i wanted to show her off again...and brag about her success...

this year mary celebrated making her 6000 nutcracker - yes, you heard correctly. each of her pieces are signed and numbered so she knows for sure that this is indeed true...


her ideas for each piece come from her mind, her imagination - then she puts them to paper and finally to wood...when asked how this all started, mary says:


"I have always loved wood. Growing up in Virginia where my father built houses, I would often accompany him to the lumberyards where I would invariably bring home blocks of wood. In 1989, I wanted a nutcracker but could not find one I liked so I sketched a design and then had my husband turn the basic shape on his lathe. I carved the nutcracker and painted it with muted colors to install an antique finish. I showed it to a buyer from New York City’s American Folk Art Museum. Before I knew it, I had an order for two dozen soldier nutcrackers. My career as an artist began!"



could you imagine getting the phone call that you are asked to make a nutcracker tree topper for the white house christmas tree?, well it happened, and she did in 1996. her pieces have appeared in countless magazines over the many years and she has been named "best american craftsman", by early american life magazine several times...

if you would like to view more of mary's work - here is her link - mary myers nutcrackers



how many of mary's pieces do i have in my own home?, well i'd have to go from room to room to count - for i am so fond of her work and talents, soldiers march in line in my son's room, mine as well, childhood book characters can be found in my studio, angels in my bathroom, pumpkin men in the kitchen and patriotic in my family room...there always seems to be room to add a special piece by her...and now i see there is a football player, what a wonderful piece for me to have to remember my little guys first year in football...and my moms home?, well to many to count too...

I do believe mary's work is full of our own imaginations too, whether it be from our childhood memories, celebrations of the seasons, our lives or events in our children's lives - her carvings bring us a keepsake of these times...
be sure to check out mary myers nutcrackers - you will have fun seeing all of her creations...click on the link below!

No comments: