Sunday, October 19, 2008

uggg....the dr....

i recently went to the dr. where he announced to me - "i want to see you do 90 minutes of road work a day".... well...what is road work exactly, i wondered... a shovel, a pick....like the old movies showing the soon to be escaped convicts? blowing leaves down the road into nice piles for the leaf truck to come and suck and mulch? the mind just didn't want to wrap itself around the thought of - feet hitting road for 90 minutes a day...oh noooo, exercise...

now i will say - that i'm an observer. i like to take a book to the park and watch people walking and running on the exercise path....i like to watch the people run and walk by my home, viewed from the couch or deck... so it was bound to happen, that i would one day get my orders to straighten up and walk right.


we are full of "used" stores here, for the college kids come and go, buy and donate. so there is always a surplus of things to be found and snatched up. one place, in particular, is known for its exercise equipment/bikes, so i headed off yesterday and 'i think', i found the perfect stationery bike for this 'road work'. now i do understand that it isn't really 'road work', but nonetheless the weather is quite cold right now, snow will be falling soon - and at least 6 months out of each year would just be unbearable to be walking the hills for 90 minutes, that is, for a baby like me.

so now my bike is parked inside the studio - so that i will be inclined to 'ride' before work, at lunch and hopefully in the evening... i think it is a good start to meeting the dr.'s orders...and yes, it does look almost exactly like the one above - but mine is rusty, somebody left it out in the rain or out on a porch for some time - but i'm feeling a little old and rusty - so it will be a perfect match - and it was quite affordable - $12.50.

i was talking to my mom yesterday - and told her that i hope to ride my bike across the country - landing at my girlfriend linda's in sacremento. we giggled, and then i told her i must log my efforts and have a map to tell me how far i've gone... so i will begin this - for i have to have something to look forward too or it's just exercise, and i know i don't like to do that! i will keep you up to date on my adventure across the country on my stationery bicycle.




boone, north carolina to sacremento, california is 2,618 miles...i looked to see how long it would take me to walk there - 35 days and 12 hours (is this a sleepless 35 days?)... it gives me hope that i will be able to get where i am going....CALIFORNIA OR BUST!!!

1 comment:

Lana Manis said...

I'll join you Diane! The weather is cooler here now and I am going to start walking daily. I just have to watch out for the bear and the elk that has been spotted near my home.....