Tuesday, November 11, 2008

i'm just a little bit nervous...


as many of you now know i have just written my first children's book... the final manuscript was sent yesterday and i'm just a bit nervous...the second guessing has begun now that it has left my hands...should i haves, maybe i could haves...



but here is how it all happened from the beginning to the end...i was asked to write a children's book for chetola resort, in blowing rock, about their two swans, Moses and Bertha, who swim about on their lake...




there were some points that needed to be included in this story - the story of the inn, the surrounding view of our appalachian mountains and the creatures on the land...history, educational information for the children mixed with entertaining swans...oh my

when my hubby (you know him!), volunteered me for this project, he of course, hadn't asked me. so when he came home and told me, i gave him my traditional look of horror, and told him, "i can't write a children's book!". he told me, "you write poems, i told them you were published", and off he went. just like him, you know? and there i was left standing, talking to myself.

well i did it. i submitted the beginning of the book and the ending - for i thought these probably would be the hardest to write. i got the go ahead - and wrote the middle. after many many phone calls to my mom, chief editor, queen of the english language, killer of sentence fragments, eraser of my dots dots dots...i submitted the final draft...




it was a fun adventure - for the view was breathtaking....chetola resort in blowing rock is a diamond within these mountains, a very special place to us all. many weddings are held at chetola for it is such a magical place, a fairy tale wedding with horse and carriage carrying the bride. this is the place that jan karon, wrote her wonderful series, about a small town named 'mitford'...for she was enchanted by this place too...an easy place to get lost in a good book...



No comments: